Wednesday, May 17, 2006

Some blog worship.


I was reading my favorite blog on the interweb, Debriefing the Boys , and I realized something. Matt is the coolest most insightful guy that I have never met. The way that he is able to organize and articulate his thoughts make his message very easy to understand and empathize with. I like to read what he has to say because he makes me feel a lot less crazy and alone. I was reading his post, about reasons on why he should come out. And there were like 2 seconds where I thought that I was going to cry, it was just such a poingant paragraph. He was talking about the future, and how he has never actually taken an honest look at it, and that really got to me because I do the exact same thing when I think about my future, or tell people what I see in it. It was like he was peering into my brain, except I would not have been able to express my feelings in such a raw and open way. I guess the most important thing that I got from his blog, is that there are poeple out there that are a lot like me, and are going through very similar situations. I really need to stop being so narcisitic because I am not the unique snowflake that I once thought I was. I know that we (Matt and I) are the same age, but he seems like he is more wise and experienced than I am when it comes to life. I would love to pick that guys brain. I dedicate this graphic to Matt, I made it about a year ago when I was feeling isolated because of the things that I was thinking about and the things that I was going through. I like to take a picture when I feel like I am going through something that I might want to remember later on in life. I can look at any picture that I have ever taken and remember every detail about the day I was having and the way I was feeling about it. By the way, the angel is a banksy original, that dude is my favorite artist. Anyway this is a picture of an ocean oil drilling center. However the people that lived along the beach, felt that it was very ugly. So they built this front to the ocean drills, and made the island apealing to the people that would look at it from the beach. Its all just one big fancy facade that the people felt like this place needed because nobody wanted to deal with the reality. Basically that island is in the closet as much as I am.

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think that I want to sit matt down and pick his brain now also.

Anonymous said...

Don't sell your self short, I think that you did very well putting your thoughts into words. I very much enjoy reading what you have to say, I also think that you do a very good job taking pictures and making these graphics. Keep up the good work!

Anonymous said...

I feel like I can relate a lot to what you ahve to say. I am an asian guy (gay) that grew up in a very white neighborhood also. I like to read your words, because there are not a lot of people like us. We play sports and we hang out with white people, and so we take the fact that we are minorties and make it even more obvious by doing things where even less asians are around, like you surf, and I play football! Then one day you look around are realize that you have boxed yourself into a corner and there's nowhere you can go from here, because all of your friends are the boggest homophobes since the beginning of time! Soooo that felt good to get out! I jsut wanted to let you know that I like your blog and I think that what you have to say, and the way that you say it are very well put. Good job homee!

Anonymous said...

I love your pictures and your photopraphs. I also really like this picture on this post and I like what you had to say about it. That's a very interesting island. I must see it, where is it exactly?

Anonymous said...

I like your blog because you don't focus on the fact that you are gay. That sounded bad. What I am trying to say is you acknowlege that it is part of who you are, but its not what defines you. I like how every single post isn't about guys, because you have other things going on n your life! Good for you for trying to live out your life and not letting your orientation define who you are. If you are feeling lonely because you are in the closet, maybe you should think about coming out. Just realize, as you do right now that you aren't defined by it, its just one of the many things that make you who you are.

Anonymous said...

I love Banksy! I didn't even realize that was a Banksy angel until U sed so. it looks really good sitting over that fake whatever it is! I love you photographs, keep it up because I love to read your blog!

ps
debriefing the boys is a good blog also.

Anonymous said...

you suck! why are you sooo lame!?

Anonymous said...

That anonymous guy sounds like a total prick! I just wanted to let you know that I think that you are a very articulate person yourself. I love the way that you choose to write your blog, and I dig you pictures!

Anonymous said...

I have noticed a theme with almost all of the pictures that you have posted, they mostly all take place at the beach. I think that you are kind of obsessed with the ocean! I get that you surf and you grew up by the ocean, but there are other things in this world that exist away from the coast. Besides that, I really enjoy your pictures and your blog, U take a great photograph. Good eye.

Anonymous said...

Dude I think that you need to realize that you are your own most dificult critic! You are a great writer, because I love to visit your site and see what you are thinking about! Its a great little blog, and I love to read about how your mind works. Don't sell yourself short you sound plenty grown up and wise!

Anonymous said...

I was wondering what was so special about this picture, and then I read the end of your blog. I like the way you connected the picture of the island, to your situation. ITs a nice little story, is that was that island is really all about?? I like that photograph, and I like your blog.

Marc said...

that's in Long Beach isn't it!? I had no idea that was an off shore oil drilling rig! hahaha That's so funny! I have lived like 10 minutes from that place my entire life! Okay well love the blog, keep up the good work!

Anonymous said...

I understand that metaphorical line that you are drawing between yourself and this oil drilling rig, but, keep in mind that no man is an island.

Anonymous said...

I totally know where this place is! there are absolutely no surfable waves at this beach, but it is a great place to go jogging! I think that I am a fan now just because you are a Long Beach native! People from Long Beach are so much cooler than people from Los Angeles!

Anonymous said...

your pictures are lame! You should really rethink the stuff that you choose to post on your blog, because they really aren't that good. I am sorry that you suck so much (hahaha pun) but really do you need to submit everybody on the internet with this kind of visual crap!? FUCKING GAY!

Anonymous said...

Wow, Eric! I didn't even see the angel until I went back up, clicked on the photo and zoomed in. Amazingly cool. I think Banksy has a new admirer. This is the first visit to your blog (after reading your comment to Matt on "Debriefing the Boys"). It won't be the last because you do have some nice pictures and a smooth, easy writing style. Oh, and don't dwell on the comments by anonymous. As often as he posts, he's obviously deeper in the closet than you or anyone else that has commented here!

2xLife said...

Hey,
just came upon your blog similarly to Terry. I also like to read Matt's entries, but I think that you are a much better writer than you seem to giving yourself credit for. This living in the 'closet' stuff is for the birds; it's too bad we can't just be open and comfortable in our own skin without having to worry about the rest of the world.