Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Catching up

I have been spending a lot of my time with Bradley's brother’s and sisters’ significant others. I guess the thing I am most proud of is how we have finally mastered the art of being good supportive boyfriends/girlfriends. When it comes to being with our other halves, its hard to find an equilibrium with the time we spend with them because on one hand we want to be there to support them and on the other we want to give them their space and time as a family. These last few weeks have been extremely confusing in terms of figuring out how we fit into this whole scenario. We had all been asked to be here, but at the same time there were certain moments where we honestly felt like we were intruding on something private.

It's really weird getting to know the significant others because the thing that I have come to realize over the last couple of weeks is that we are all VERY similar. The Bradley clan definitely has a type and I guess I am it. Together there are 4 of us, 2 guys (counting myself) and 2 girls. The guy is pretty awesome, he teaches Jiu-Jitsu during the year then in late spring and all summer he leads eco-adventures around South America. Girl A is the partial owner of this crazy summer camp that basically takes a bunch of teens across the country hitting all the major camping spots and totally kicking it Little House on the Prairie style! Girl B much like myself is currently unemployed, and spends the majority of her time surfing and being awesome. I think the Bradley siblings like to seek out the kind of person who thrives on nontraditional lifestyles and doesn‘t mesh well with the rest of society, then they use their ridiculous good looks and charm to slowly domesticate us. And looking at the 4 of us is evidence that not only can they do it, but it's a lot easier than I originally thought.

Apart from all my time here in SB, I have been spending a lot of time commuting to LA with Jiu-Jitsu guy. He teaches in LA and I have my little brother that I am constantly worrying about, so we drive down 3 days a week and we handle our business. My little brother is turning into quite the pimp, and it’s taking a lot of patience and maturity to not beat some sense into him! He’s a good looking boy, and for a 14 year old he’s a lot more developed than most kids his age which tends to land him boys a little too old for MY comfort level.

Last week we were having a casual discussion about boys, when he started to tell me about this kid at school he’s been “talking to” lately. When I pushed for more info he tried to casually slip in that the dude was 18, and I totally went ape shit! I mean COME ON!? My brother is 14 and has no business being with somebody old enough to vote! I did my best to be the cool brother who understands shit like this, but I couldn’t! I mean really!? REALLY!? So I did what any good big brother would do and I took my brother’s cell, found the guys #, then called him and told him if I caught them together I would break every bone in his body, then drag him by his dick to the nearest police station and have him arrested for statutory rape. Needless to say, my little brother is a little angry with me at the moment…

Last week in SB the waves were BEAUTIFUL! Girl B and I had no choice but to grab our boards and throw ourselves right in the mix. Oh man! It was honestly one of the best times I have had in the ocean in quite awhile. I caught air a bunch of times and landed some tricks that I have been messing around with for awhile. When we came out of the water I felt good about myself, like I had finally accomplished something that I could be proud of for the first time in a long time. As we walked back to our car my chest was puffed out and there was a swagger in my step, then I caught my reflection in the back of the SUV and I smiled and thought to myself, “Hey RGB! It’s nice to have you back again!”.

Things are still pretty difficult here on a daily basis and I am not sure if I see any light at the end of this tunnel, but I do hope. The time Bradley and I spend together is strained and a lot of the times I kind of feel like we are just going through the motions. Sometimes I think I am not sure how much more of this I can take before I totally have a meltdown of my own and fuck everything up because I am to selfish to suck it up and deal. But then I remember how much I love my boyfriend and how I will do anything for him and this is my time to prove that I mean it. I will do whatever it takes to get him through this, and those aren’t just words. I just wish that this all didn’t have to be so fucking difficult!

I have been listening to this song a lot lately. So much in fact that I can now play it perfectly, and sing it a little less perfectly. I dunno it just really feels autobiographical at the moment... You know how that happens sometimes?

5 comments:

John said...

I love that weird little microcosm you found yourself in when you were hanging out with all the "significant others". It made me laugh when you started talking about how you guys were all the same type because my siblings share the same type also. Its funny how living in the same house for 18+ years can do that to guy!

Whatever Bradley is going through, stick it out. It seems like you are probably reading into things more than he is in terms of your relationship dynamics. He has a lot on his mind and I know he appreciates you being there with him. Just like you had problems showing him how much you appreciated having him around maybe this is something similar he is going through. Stay strong for your boy, he needs you! And that song's really sad and made me cry, maybe you should listen to some pop to lighten the mood a little...

Trevor said...

Come on now RGB! Fake modesty doesn't become you! I have known you for over 6 years and every time you sing I still swoon. Less perfect my ass!

Me thinks you might need to cut your little brother a little slack. I seem to recall Tyler telling me about this 22yr old waitress in San Francisco you hooked up with when you were 14. I think its just in your guys' blood to be total whores and you shouldn't try and repress it in your brother or it will come back to bite you in the butt.

hahaha! My verification word is "recess"!

Jason said...

All you crazy kids with your tattoos and mohawks really crave a good WASP to give your lives some direction! It's no coincidence you are all the same, it's what us preps do. ;)

Jason said...

Also, I wish I could have been there for your SB session. When you start with the aerials its like watching art in motion. You are F-ing untouchable out there! I miss watching it.

Anonymous said...

Whats going on with Bradley's family?