Tuesday, May 12, 2009

I need help!

Writing a speech for this wedding has been a pain in my ass! I have no idea what to say or what to write about. The following is what happens when I type whilst watching bad tv and only half pay attention to what I am doing. The wedding party is quite small, only about 40 guests. It’s safe to say that I know 38 of them and they all know me. I am trying to make this fun, light and personable. I suck at writing with a purpose and I am not entirely sure if there’s a format or style I should be trying to emulate here. What I am looking for is some help on completing this. I am not even sure if I am on the right track with what I have written so far. So yeah… comments, criticisms, questions, whatever! Just let me know what’s what.


Steph and I became friends quite serendipitously. We met on a night train in Europe on our way to Spain. With both of us facing the idea of wandering a foreign country all alone we seized the opportunity to do it together, and from then on we have been friends. Stephanie first introduced me to Will 4 years ago. At first he and I didn’t get along out of fear that I was there to steal his woman, but after coming to the realization that my preferences leaned more towards the masculine, we became fast friends.


From day 1 Steph and Will seemed like they were meant for each other, still I was pretty shocked when Steph told me she was getting married to Will! Not because she was marrying Will, it was because she was getting married! Before she spoke those words, in my mind, we were still teenagers living it up in the big apple. But afterwards we’d magically warped into a couple of 20 somethings with 30 lurking just around the corner… Somehow with this declaration we had become grownups! Talk about a rude awakening.


I am not going to lie. When Steph first asked me to be her “Man of honor” I was completely horrified! Awful visions of bridal shower games and trips to the salon to get pretty for the big day flashed before my eyes, and all I wanted to do was run! However this honor she bestowed upon me was something I tried my hardest to live up to because she is the kind of woman who deserves the best. So I quelled my reservations and over the next few months I was able to get a second chance to see what makes us such great friends and what makes Stephanie one of the best people I will ever know. As much as I would like to insert sarcastic and witty anecdotes that you have all come to LOVE & expect from me, this time words fail. Getting ready for this wedding was something I was so very proud to be a part of despite the week long debates on floral arrangements and endless hours at the dress shops, this experience helped me reach a new level of love and respect for Steph. She is everything that any man could hope for in a woman, and Will I hope you are aware that today you are the luckiest man on earth!


So on that note I would like to make a toast to Steph and Will…

8 comments:

Emma said...

It's a very beatiful speech and fitting for the occasion. I definitely think you did the right choice in leaving out all the usual wedding speech "hilarity".

I really liked the part about all of the sudden being grown-ups. That's how I felt when the first of my friends got married last year, and I'm much older than you.

Mind Of Mine said...

I also have to write a speech for my brothers wedding in July. GASP!

I might just steal yours and replace the names!

Anonymous said...

This is a very unique wedding speech. It suits you and it has all the qualities you said you wanted it to have. Good luck with the big day.

John said...

I like what you have written here but it just feels a little like you talk about youself as much as the bride. Maybe you should refocus your words on the bride and groom and what their feelings/experiences were going through this process. Don't mean to offend or anything, just my 2 cents.

XicodeCadoro said...

sweet, loving, funny and intelligent, just like you. perfect speech. what people remember about these speeches on these occasions is how they reflect the personality of those who give them. thus they reflect the choice of friends the bride or bridegroom have...the friends we keep are often a good reflection of ourselves...
sweet, loving and fun is good...

Trevor said...

It is a tad bit narcissistic the way you go on and on about yourself, but if they all know you then they know this is what you do! You will be fine. It's really a good speech for somebody who wrote it while doing something else and barely paying attention. I wonder what you could do if you actually sat down focused and applied yourself!

Jason said...

I think your little speech is perfect the way it is. You are so going to be my best man at my wedding as soon as it's legal for me to have one, just so I can hear what you would write about our friendship!

Anonymous said...

There's a goodness about you that comes across in your writing. Your words are so genuine and earnest. I am sure your friend will love what you are going to say. You don't need to change anything because you wrote this from your heart and that's what these moments are all about.