Wednesday, March 28, 2012

March Madness


This month has been a whirlwind of crazy. First I had Tyler’s 30th Bday, then I flew out to Texas for SXSW, then Brad and I went on a spring break vacation EXTRAVAGANZA, and in the middle of all of this I was offered my own television show. Trying to communicate even a fraction of the mental and physical exhaustion I am feeling right now seems completely unfathomable because there are no words to describe this!

So let’s just start from the beginning. Earlier this month, Tyler turned 30. Most people hit 30 and (from what I hear) it’s a time where they pull out the proverbial yardstick and figure out how they measure up to their goals and expectations they’d set for themselves before they knew better. Tyler has a lot going for him; from his modeling career in college, to his short-lived pro soccer career, to just being this awesome and genuine human being that people gravitate around. I could go on for days, but the point is he knows he’s awesome so that stupid ass yardstick wasn’t about to rain on anybody’s parade this year! We surfed, we barbecued, we hit the skateparks, we rode our motorcycles up to Hollister and back, then we drank and partied so hard it was like we were teenagers again!

It felt so good to have some serious hang time with Tyler. It was crazy how much I missed him without actually knowing it until we were together again. We never have time to just be stupid with each other because I live halfway across the country and guys don’t spend hours on the phone “chatting” with each other. So needless to say, we both needed this time. Somewhere in the middle of all our fun my agent found out I was in town and asked me to come in for a sit down. I refused to ruin Tyler’s week with business, so I scheduled a meeting on the Sunday before I flew out to Texas to meet Eddie for a screening of our short film.

Long story short, this network offered me my own show based on a segment I always do when I host this show for them. I haven’t blogged about hosting since like 2008, so just to update: I work for this super duper obscure cable network guest hosting when the principles are out, or occasionally just doing short segments for the show. The last time I appeared on the show was at the beginning of March, and now they want me to make this a regular thing.

After taking a minute to really let this offer soak in, I wanted to say no and be done with it. This was the obvious next step in the relationship I had with this network. In one form or another, I have my hand in at least 4 of their current shows, and my agent is really good friends with their head of programming. AND the fucker (my agent) is always trying to figure out another way to squeeze as much money out of me as possible! After spending an hour going over all the specifics, I really started to get excited over the potential of what this offer really meant. My biggest problem that I have, and always have had, is dealing with being in front of the cameras. I absolutely hate doing it! So that’s where I have left that, up in the air, the usual…

Next was an awkward yet amazing 3 days at SXSW with Eddie. Our film was originally rejected because they had removed our category at the festival, but after viewing it they decided to screen it in all it’s 10 minutes of glory just cuz it was awesome. Eddie brought his boyfriend and we awkwardly made small talk but were clearly not into being around each other. We got a shit ton of accolades and spent the next few days being approached and asked if we were responsible of the awesome they’d witnessed. It was fun, but on the third day I was so glad to finally be done with all that drama.

FINALLY it was time to fly back to New Orleans and pack for mine and Brad’s SPRING BREAK VACATION EXTRAVAGANZA! We flew to Hawaii where we surfed, laid out in the sun, surfed, made love, surfed, ATE, surfed, and just enjoyed each other. Content. That’s how I would describe my week. Absolutely content. I was so happy and at ease. It was beautiful. If every week could be like that, I would know heaven.

Now here I am, back in New Orleans, sitting at my computer trying to figure out what the hell I am going to do next with my life. My biggest worry is that one day very soon I am going to need more than my million dollar smile to get me through life. I really should be milking every opportunity for everything it’s worth.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

wow!

Trevor said...

I know you hate being in front of the camera but that's just stupid! You are funny and handsome and you look so comfortable on camera its gross. Had you pitched them anything at all, you would've had your own show years ago! That little segment you and "Johnny" did a few months ago was gold, you guys should do this show together!

I can't believe you spent a week in LA and you didn't even call me. I am way sad about that.

Jason said...

The secret about you is you care a hell of a lot more than you care to admit. Whether it be what other's think about you, or how you feel about the work you do, you care. This is why you are so compelling on camera.

Its about time you step in front of the camera full time. You personality, and charisma and sense of humor are all larger than life and come through perfectly on TV. Take this opportunity, you will be amazing at it as you are at everything.

P.S. Trev was right about you and Johnny. That's some TV gold right there! It would be like Rob & Big if Rob & Big were both disgustingly attractive.

RGB said...

@ Trevor and Jason, I know I am awesome so that's really not the problem. I just need more time to figure my life out. I spend way too much time away from home as it is. I just don't want to sacrifice my relationship for something that I am only luke warm about doing in the first place.

Anonymous said...

You can't use your boyfriend as your excuse to not go out there and experience life. If I were him I would be forcing you out the door to go out and do this amazing opportunity. This is your chance to make a difference in the world just by being who you are in a market that really needs it too. I hope you choose to go out there and shine, you seem to be the kind of guy who would be good at it.